Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats



So, I've told some people this story, but it's a good one to share again.

On Sunday, a bunch of us were headed over to a friend's house to watch the Euro Cup soccer finals between Germany and Spain. (Spain won, by the way) And I decided to make peanut butter Rice Crispy treats. I also made chocolate ones, but there's no story to go along with those, so they're not important. Anyways, my dad loves natural peanut butter (the kind you have to stir in order to be able to eat it) and since we had like five jars of it in the cupboard, I decided to use that. I had to open up a new jar...mistake number 1. Now, I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I had seen my dad use, and had successfully used myself, one part of the hand mixer to mix the peanut butter together. So I decided to do it the "easy way" and use the hand mixer...mistake number 2. So, I put one little metal mixer thing into the jar and turned it on...forgetting to hold onto the jar. Needless to say, in the next three seconds, peanut butter and lots of peanut butter oil, had escaped, flinging itself from the jar and onto every surface on my half of the kitchen...and all over my jeans and the apron I was wearing.

But that's not the best part.

The best part is that after I turned the mixer off initially and my hands and the jar were both covered, I decided to try to hold onto the jar and mix again...which didn't work either. (BIG mistake number 3) Even more peanut butter was flung onto my kitchen counter and cabinets and myself. You think I'd learned the first time. No. Not Amanda Hollis. :)

So for the next half hour I cleaned peanut butter off of every surface in the kitchen. I thought I got it all too. And the kitchen smelled like peanut butter and Clorox all mixed together, which is an extremely pleasant smell I can assure you. (...oh the sarcasm...) But obviously I didn't get it all. My father came up to me yesterday and told me to check out the little spot over the window in our kitchen, and sure enough there was more peanut butter there too! Oh my...I think we might be finding peanut butter in hidden spots for like the next ten years...

So yes...I did learn something. Don't use the hand mixer in a peanut butter jar unless you have a firm grip on it.

And don't turn it on again when you've already made a mess!

And that's all from me for now. Hope some laughs were had. :)

No comments: