Thursday, May 31, 2007

So I was struck tonight by a wonderful fact...I have amazing friends.

For those who don't know my past, finding and keeping good friends has always been an issue. It's the one thorn in my side that God has allowed to stay with me through my whole life. He has grown me throughout my years to be independent in the friendship sphere and to be totally and completely dependent on Him for my source of encouragement. He also used that part of my life to grow my love for my family, and that makes that trial so worth it.

But tonight, I again saw His grace in my life in the area of friendships. Not just friendships that are superficial, but friendships that are encouraging and uplifting, and are flavored with humor and mutual respect for one another.

Just more proof that God is a faithful, good God.

In other totally unrelated news, a friend of mine asked me a week or so ago what my favorite Shakespeare sonnet was...at the time I didn't know which one to tell him, but now I do.
Go read Sonnet 116...it's awesome.
Or better yet, read it here.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds...O no! it is an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken..."

That is beautiful. It kind of reminds me of 1Corinthians 13...love hopes all things, endures all things, always protects and trusts, always perseveres...love never fails.

I don't think this applies only to romantic love, but it could also apply to families or friends. Your love for your family shouldn't change when you encounter hardships, or your love for your friends shouldn't change when you encounter conflict. It should look at those tempests and not be shaken...if we love with the same agape love that Christ loves us with.

Until next time.

4 comments:

natebauers said...

Somehow I stumbled upon your blog...I like it a lot. I also like your favorite sonnet. : )
I am praying for you and your family today, and will continue to do so. Thank you for your never ending service to the Ellise family and for your example of Christ like love. You are an example to me.
Talk with you soon.
-Nate

Hannah Elisabeth said...

I second Nate. Hallelujah for your family....and especially in regards to the Ellise's....you guys represent faithful friends and service towards God...I can't think of better support through the long months to come then you and your precious family....thank you and the Lord would say to you all "Well done my good and faithful servant"

you are loved!!!

Grandma and Grandpa Drumm said...

Amanda,

We are so proud of the woman you have become and pray that you will continue to grow in the Lord and continue to dedicate your life to him even through the future trials that may come your way during your life time.

We are also very thankful the way God has worked in your Mom and Dad's life to enable them to train and guide you girls to be Godly woman that God desires you to be.

We continue to pray for you all and as your other friends have stated you and yours have been a great testamony in how you all have stepped in to support and help the Ellis family.

Love You,
Grandpa and Grandma Drumm

Alaskachillz said...

Hey this is your cousin Matt. I have been reading your blog. I haven't always been a blogger but finding my own blog on Google made me want to Blog more. I have alot of Blogs now.