Wednesday, November 19, 2008

...more than anything that glitters...

You can have all my hands can hold; my heart, mind, strength and soul. Be my all, all consuming fire.

So lately, each time I hear/think of this song it brings tears to my eyes. I've always been kind of, shall we say, "neutral" towards this song...didn't love it, didn't hate it. But God really used it to speak to me this past Sunday.

I was singing for our Resurgence (parent-teen) band and we closed with this song. While we were singing, it was like God totally made everything click in my head and in my heart. The verse is what gets me. "Rich or poor, God I want You more than anything that glitters in this world...You can have all my hands can hold; my heart, mind, strength and soul. Be my all, all-consuming fire."

I think the key word here for me is the world "all." I think that's a good word. It speaks to me of completeness. Of totality. All-encompassing. Nothing is left out. If I think that I can submit one thing to God and yet try to control another all by myself, I am sadly mistaken. It's all or nothing. Not saying that me thinking I have control over something means that I do...but in order for me to truly be at peace in my heart, I need to submit everything. All my hands can hold. All of my heart. All of my mind. All of my strength. All of my soul. Everything. For He is all I need. I have all I need in Him. He can take care of the anxieties of my heart. He can care for my cares. He is capable.

And I am not.

So I think what really hit me hardest is that I can become so distracted by the "glittery" things of this world that I forget that God is so much better. And I can become so distracted by the "dull" things of this world...things that don't go my way, things that I am unsure about, etc...that I forget that my God has control of all these things. I just need to, in my heart, submit them to Him. All to Him. And that's when peace comes.

Peace comes in knowing that even if everything else was taken away, I would still have all I need...for He is all I need.

1 comment:

Katelyn said...

That is so true for many of us,including me. I am almost always distracted by the things of this world. Thanks for sharing.
Katelyn